Have you ever thought about starting a blog? If you enjoy writing, keeping a diary, or just want to vent on a topic you’re passionate about longer than a Facebook status update, then I highly recommend taking your thoughts to the blogosphere. There’s enough platforms available to fit what works for your life.
Some blogs change, grow, and take breaks throughout the years whether it’s the design or the content itself. The past few months I realized there are going to be some changes on Savvy Spice too. I have 5 tips if you’re thinking about updating or starting your own blog, including 5 NEW Ch-Ch-Changes coming to this site from ‘Behind the Scenes‘ shots of an upcoming Youtube video…
1. Not Everything is Black & White with your Blog - Don’t get stuck in one category or niche if you don’t want to! When I first started my blog in San Francisco, it was about fashion trends, celebrity scandals, and whatever I felt like talking about. Then I kept hearing ‘find your niche‘ which can be confusing. Now that I’m in Switzerland 80% of the time, Savvy Spice will be filled with newbie travel tips, lifestyle short-cuts, hot topics, beauty tricks, celebrity looks-for-less, and candy – yes candy, because I LOVE Candy!
2. What about Video Content? - Not sure about Youtube? Test your interest on a light basis with instagram videos or VINE. If you’d like to test making Youtube videos, I will have expert tips for beginners in an upcoming post. Plus, a new series of Youtube videos coming soon to my channel SavvySpiceFashion because I’ve always loved writing, but sometimes it’s easier to explain in person what I want to say. So have a seat and subscribe if you’d like.
3. Should You Show Your City? ~ After living in Switzerland a little over a year, everything is SO different in Europe from the US. I discover new trends -some which are 5 years behind the US, but I’ll be sharing more ‘What’s Hot/What’s Not in Europe‘ so you know first. PS. If you have a blog, I highly recommending sharing some of the local flavor or culture in your city. There will always be people checking out your site who have never been there, and will find it fascinating whether you live in a big city or tiny town anywhere in the world.
4. Lifestyle Tips for the Lazy (aka if you’re short on time) – I hate cooking and thankfully my husband has accepted ‘fruit salad and PopSecret‘ as a ‘perfect light dinner’ I’m happy to prepare. I’m the furthest thing from Rachel Ray and wouldn’t attempt a Pinterest DIY with a 10-foot pole, but I do have some super time-saving tricks around the house to share. Share your tips, no matter how simple they may seem because you never know; there may be someone out there who doesn’t even know how to make a hardboiled egg. gulp.
5. Stick with what You Love ~ The truth is whether you’ve been blogging 3 months or 3 years, you will be bored if you don’t write about what you really, truly like. And take a break whenever you want to, blogging should be fun or at least a learning experience. Thanks for reading! Do you ever feel like your blog is on the back burner when life is busy and want to make changes to it? Or are you thinking about starting your own blog in 2015?
<Details by Dale> – Zara top & skirt with MAC Russian Red lipstick, plus my favorite cocktail of the summer, Martini Bianco on ice with lemon.